Friday, May 21, 2010

The Up Series

I've been preoccupied with The Up Series for the last several weeks. It started when the filmmakers took 14 children from various backgrounds in England and interviewed them in the mid-1960s; they were all 7 years old then. They have followed up with the children every 7 years and produced a documentary each time about what they're up to (the last one was done in 2005 when they were all 49). It's a fascinating series, one that made me stay up too late and neglect all sorts of other things I should be doing in order to watch.

P.S. All but 35 Up are currently available in Netflix's Instant Queue

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had to watch "7 Up" for a film class at BYU and got hooked watching other portions of the series on PBS. It's so addicting and interesting. Plus, I loved listening to those little kids speak with their English accents!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recommendation! I've been looking for a new series to watch. My mom and I just went and saw that "Babies" documentary, where four babies from Africa, Mongolia, Japan, and the USA (San Fransisco, actually), are followed for the first year of their lives. It was so interesting! This "Up" series sounds like the same idea, but on a longer scale.

Jen Suman said...

I immediately went and watched "7 UP" on Netflix after reading your post, and now I have the whole series in my queue. They're so interesting! You always have great recommendations!

pepper said...

This is one of my favorites, Mark and I watched them a few years ago completely obsessed. So fun.