Here are some things I liked having at the hospital that might not be included on a typical "hospital bag" list. In general, my advice would be to focus more on things that make your 2+ days after baby comfortable and less on stuff for the actual labor and delivery:
1) White noise machine: drowned out sounds from other people's babies/visitors and the nearby nurses station so I could sleep
2) Flip flops
3) Boppy
4) Lanolin: you know, the nipple repair ointment. Things can get pretty rough that first little while
5) Pen and paper: to jot down details about the whole experience you might forget later
6) Chapstick
7) Magazines: Did I really think I'd be in the mood to tackle The Picture of Dorian Gray in the hospital? I wasn't. I should have gone with some light US Weekly, In Touch-type reading
8) Water bottle
9) Snacks: I took trail mix, fruit leather, a few granola bars, and some fruit snacks. You're awake around the clock, so it's nice to have something to eat no matter the hour
10) Depends: maybe this is too much information, but I found Depends to be a more ummmmmm, reliable post-partum solution than the delightful mesh underwear the hospital provides. Plus you can wear them around town before baby if you fear your water breaking in a public place. Confession: I wore some to church 2 days before 2nd Brother's birth. You might have too if you were 3 days overdue and among people you see regularly.
Thursday, May 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Haha.. I love that you wore depends to church! Who knew? He is adorable and I can't wait to see him again!
Awesome advice. I'll have to print this one out for future reference. As much as I loved the Picture of Dorian Grey, I think I'll be sticking with US weekly when my turn rolls around. Can't wait to see you.
Oh, and sorry I totally left you hanging yesterday! I couldn't find my cell phone for half of the day. But you'll be hearing from me tomorrow.
I wish I had known the depends tip...that's a good one. I love your recent posts.
This is great timing for this post...I have 9 weeks to go, so it's good to start thinking about such things.
When I had Bryson we lived a half mile from the hospital, so Dan could run home on a whim for me. This time around will be a little different. Your advice will help me properly prepare.
I like the list! I definitely agree with the snacks part. :)
Great list! And I love the depends confession!
Girl, you are THE BEST. The Depends advice is awesome. Clearly, I needed to subscribe to this blog sooner. Just did it today so I won't miss another installment.
Post a Comment