Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The gory details

We are thrilled to be home with our baby boy! I think the boys will be "1st Brother" and "2nd Brother" for blog purposes now. 1st Brother has been fairly sassy and whiney to the adults in charge, but he's been fantastic with 2nd Brother and frequently asks, "How's the baby going?"

Labor and delivery couldn't have gone better. I woke up around 7:15 on the morning of the 12th with occasional contractions that were enough to make me get up and shower just in case. I started timing them around 8:00 and advised My Husband not to go to work yet. Contractions kept coming about every 7 minutes for almost 1.5 hours, so I called the hospital. They told me to come in since this was my 2nd baby and I was GBS positive (i.e. I needed 4 hours of antibiotics before delivery).

Nana and 1st Boy dropped us off, and I was admitted after they found I was 5 cm dilated with contractions continuing. I notified the nurse I was NOT trying for natural childbirth and to order the epidural. The anesthesiologist got to the delivery room within 10 minutes of us, and I had that sweet, sweet relief before things got too intense (thank goodness! My worst fear was that I'd have a crazy fast labor without time for an epidural like some friends of mine).

The next several hours were comfortable and things progressed on their own. They let me drink apple juice, which I threw up around the time my water broke at 8 cm. I threw up again around 10 cm, but twice was LOTS better than the 20-ish times I threw up with 1st Brother. I could feel pressure with the contractions after that, but it wasn't overwhelming, so they let the baby come down on its own while I rested and finished the 4 hours of antibiotics. I started pushing when the doctor arrived, and after about 5 contractions worth/12 minutes, we had our baby! (again, much better than the 2.5 hours of pushing with 1st Brother).

Most people guessed it would be a girl, and I was almost convinced although I'd only had boy baby dreams. So I was surprised but thrilled he was a boy--it's what I would have chosen for this one. We are so blessed and thankful for our new addition and appreciate everyone's support!

I like to call this one "Newborn on a Rollercoaster:"

My sainted mother, who will have been helping me for 16 days by the time she leaves this week:

The big brother present from Nana, a huge hit (he has also received a watch, t-shirt, 2 books and a hot wheels car--almost better than a birthday!):

Do they look alike? You be the judge (1st Brother at the top; 2nd Brother below):

8 comments:

jocelyn said...

Yay Jennie! Congratulations to you guys! He is extremely precious. I think it's so sweet that older brother asks how baby brother is doing. And do they look alike?! Um, if you hadn't told me those were different babies I would have never known. They could be twins!

Anonymous said...

I agree - TWINS! Both beautiful! I want to see a picture of YOU! And while I don't know her that well, I have always loved your mom! What a cute grandma!

Jen Suman said...

Oh my! I thought they looked alike, but after seeing the baby pictures side-by-side they look like the same baby! I'm so excited for you guys! Tell your mom 'hi' for me, I love that woman. I've always thought she looks like Sharon Stone.

I can't wait until you guys make your next trip to Utah so I can see you and your handsome boys!

The Chappell Fam said...

He is so handsome! I can't wait to meet him in person. I am so glad that labor and delivery went so smoothly!

pepper said...

They look so much alike! I'm so happy you had such a smooth labor. Congratulations again he is really beautiful.

Danielle Perona said...

Hooray for you guys! He is darling and glad to hear you had a good delivery. I think your two boys baby pictures look strikingly identical! :)

Christina said...

They do look so much alike. He's absolutely perfect and I can't wait to meet him in person. I'm also glad you had time for that epidural, unlike "some friends" you mentioned. :)

Kendra | Our Homemade Happiness said...

Congratulations! They do look a lot like! It's fun to hear the "gory details".