What's the most scared you've ever been? Up until a week ago, my answer might have been when I watched The Shining and came back to a dark house where everyone was asleep (I kept imagining those creepy twin girls were everywhere I looked). Or when I was the first one up in my house and was blow drying my hair thinking about what I would do if a spirit appeared to me.
But I have a new one. My sister visited me last week while My Husband was out of town, and it was awesome to have her around. But one night at 4:30am, she ran into my room from the couch and said, "Help! Help! There's a man in the dining room, someone is in here!" I was totally befuddled, and it took me a couple minutes to get my head around what was happening. I had to stop and put my contact lenses in (I lost my glasses and can only see things very close up), then grabbed the wooden t-ball bat I keep near my bed for these purposes. I turned on the hall light and opened my front door wide, thinking neighbors could get in and help us. Then I crept around the apartment checking everywhere, with my heart beating out of my chest and my bat poised for action, but I found nothing. It seems my sister was half-asleep and dreaming or had a fever from the sunburn she got the day before and was hallucinating? Or perhaps she's coming into some sleep-related genetic craziness? Because my mom does all sorts of terrible things--wakes up emitting blood-curdling screams, vividly sees intruders, children, Cabbage Patches, and even a Christmas ham on or near her bed, etc. But my sister had no history of this and was sure she saw someone; she could even describe what he looked like. Even when it was apparent there was no problem, we were both really keyed up and stayed in the living room watching the Olympics until day came. Thank goodness My Boy stayed asleep through all this! And it's not a very feminist-y thing to say, but I sure felt better when my big, strong man got home.
P.S. I was going to put a picture of The Shining twins at the top of this post but got too freaked out when I looked them up.
Thursday, August 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Scary!! The most scared I've ever been was when I was house-sitting in Midway (in the middle of freaking NOWHERE) and someone tried to break in. I was so scared my heart was in my mouth, I could NOT move or breathe, I was FROZEN. Then I call my MOM instead of the police (?) and she said, "Duh, call the police!!" and then she sent my brother in law up from Provo to be with me the rest of the night. Dang. Long story short, this person never made it into the house, and the Midway police came and then did drive-bys all night to make sure this person didn't come back, but I swear I had post-traumatic syndrome, too - I was jumpy for honestly about 2 years afterward and hated to be alone!
Oh, and one more thing - I watched The Shining with you at your house once when we were in high school. yeah, that's a CREEEEEEEPY movie!! And I hate to tell you this, but whenever I see it advertised to be on TV, I think of you!
That is so scary! That is honestly one of my worst nightmares, that someone will break in while Jarond is out of town.
I like to go to the cardio cinema at the gym and watch movies while I work out. A couple months ago I got in right as the movie When a Stranger Calls was starting. It was about 11:00 at night and I was the only one in the theater. I was so freaked out, but I couldn't leave! I had to finish the movie. The whole way home I was so scared! Annie's story is just like the movie, too - except in the movie the guy actually gets in. So scary!!
P.S. You're going to have to elaborate on these stories about your mom sometime...Christmas ham?! Ha ha!
I'm with you. I like it much better when Rog is in town. He was gone for a couple of nights right after you first told me this story. I had a nightmare that Friday night - where the window was completely gone in my front room and the breeze was coming in through the opening. In my nightmare I was too scared to come out of my room. I kept thinking, "If I pretend I'm asleep, maybe they will take what they want and go away." But then I kept thinking that there would be others that came in through the opening ... Needless to say, I didn't sleep well. I'm just glad it was all a dream. :)
Annie! You need to invite me to your blog! I didn't even know you had one until recently. I owe you big comment favors. And your Midway story is horrible! Being all alone in my story would have made it 15 times worse!
Ok.. I was at U of Arizona as a senior and I had just gotten back from the movie "Poltergeist." I know, not that scary, BUT, while sitting in a chair watching tv in front of a window, the window shattered in the bedroom which was the next room over in this small college apt. I was totally freaked! I froze, listened,eyes bulging, then ran like hell to my next door neighbor's. An old man and his lovely wife came in with a baseball bat. A rock had come thru. He boarded it up. In the paper the next day, there was a report of someone doing this and the person coming to the window to find out what was the matter; greeted by a man rapist with a gun. Holy CRAP!
Post a Comment