Those itchy welts appeared right away, meaning he's definitely allergic to all nuts, and cat hair too. We suspected a problem after he ate a cookie at Target that had peanut butter chips in it then threw up in the middle of an aisle about 10 minutes later. He threw up again in the car, then a couple more times during the next 24 hours. I'm so grateful that's the way his body reacted as opposed to his airway closing off! He only reacts if he eats an actual nut product but has no problems with stuff processed on the same machines, if someone eats a pb sandwich then touches him, etc.
He developed some asthma around age 4, but it usually wasn't bad unless he had a cold. Then one day his teacher called me from preschool and said he was wheezy after running around on the playground. I drove down right away to bring his inhaler, and when I rounded the corner I saw a fire truck and ambulance with lights flashing in front of the school! They had called as a precaution, and he took some puffs from their nebulizer after I got there and was fine, but it was one of the scarier moments I've had. He now has an inhaler in addition to an Epipen at school, just in case.


No comments:
Post a Comment