Thursday, October 28, 2010

Kindergarten shiner

Three days before school pictures, I got a call from 1st Brother's teacher saying he was hurt and might need stitches. He was in the office holding an ice pack above his left eye when I arrived, a little shaken but not crying. We circled back to the playground when we left school so he could show me what happened: he apparently was running while looking behind him and smacked into a metal post in the play structure.

We got an appointment at a Kaiser injury clinic (I was so grateful we didn't have to wait in an emergency room for hours!), and my awesome friend Kady came to help. The doctor gave us the option of stitches or glue for the small but gaping cut; we went with glue. 1st Brother was nervous and teary but followed instructions and was soon put back together.

By picture day he had some bruising, mostly on his eyelid like eye shadow. I think the photographer tried to minimize it by sitting him at an angle in the picture above, but he/she didn't need to because I think it's funny and cute. Here's a better view:

He healed up well and now has a small pink scar. It was our first ordeal of this kind, and I feel lucky that it was minor!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute! Seriously! (It's not like he got into a fight). He has such a cute smile! And he was SO brave - I can't believe he didn't cry! (I would have, even now!) :)

pepper said...

He is such a doll. Love the story and the photo!

Miller Mayhem said...

He's so cute! I bet it was a great conversation started.

Miller Mayhem said...

oops- starter