Monday, December 1, 2008

Fairyland

Although the name makes me giggle, Oakland's Fairyland is one of my favorite places. It's basically a storybook theme park with play areas, rides, and shows based on fairy tales or other children's stories. I love the quirky, vintage feel of everything (the park opened in 1950), the reasonable admission price, and the fun My Boy can have there - I think we stayed for 5 hours last time with our playgroup. I owe an official thanks to my friend for the pictures below. She captures my child's memories when I don't bring a camera, which is almost always.

As the "house of sticks" pig:

Making exactly the same face as the Snow White dwarf he's standing over (I don't think this was intentional, just a funny shot):

On an Alice in Wonderland carousel:

Before visiting Sacramento last weekend, I found out they have something similar, Fairytale Town. It's smaller than Fairyland and doesn't have mechanical rides but was still lots of fun. I was especially amused to hear them play a song over the loudspeaker with a chorus that said, "Poop in the potty, poop goes in the potty; poop in the potty, poop goes in the potty."

Going down the "there was an old woman who lived in a shoe" slide:

In Cinderella's carriage:

Going through the "crooked mile," my personal favorite:

2 comments:

Aunt Cyndi's Blog said...

Memories! I spent much of my childhood at these two parks. We still take grandkids to Fairy Tale Town. My Grandma used to keep the key for the story boxes in a special drawer at her house. Good times!

Addi said...

Now you need to go to Happy Hollow in San Jose and the trio will be complete! Fun times.