I have a theory, and it's one I think is pretty solid: it is impossible to look cool while riding a Segway Personal Transporter (the official name). There is a company in San Francisco that offers various Segway tours. It actually sounds really fun, but whenever I see groups like the ones below, I have to fight an impulse to scream, "Dorks! Nerds! DORKS!" at them.
Fun facts: a Segway costs about $5,500, can go up to 12.5 miles per hour and up to 24 miles at a time before it loses charge. Still, if this guy can't make it look good, who can?




7 comments:
Kay, that was funny. Todd and I just started watching Season 1 of Arrested Development (on DVD) and I seriously laugh out loud AT Gob when he is on his Segway. Yeah, pretty much the dorkiest thing to do EVER. !!
I totally agree with you. In Chicago, the police ride these things-- and it just makes me laugh-- it is not intimidating at all. Dorks!
love that we think the same way! I also think it might be fun but would be too embarrassed :)
Agreed!!!I laugh every time! And the neon yellow or orange vests that they wear on those tours certainly don't help their cause... And Panchos on rainy days top it all off!
Yeah, I don't know if you can call it a theory.... I don't know who would dispute that people on Segways look stupid.
Bear and I saw a large group of tourists on these when we were in Vienna. They must not have them in Asia because I have never seen so much camera flashing and video recording as I did from a bunch of Asian tourists as I did that day. They even took turns posing with the group on the Segway's. I didn't know who to feel more embarrassed for, the people on the Segway's or those posing with them. Then, some of the people on the Segway's began throwing up peace and I love you signs with their hands to the crowd that had gathered. I forced myself to take a picture, not because I wanted to encourage the spectacle around me, but because it was all to embarrassing and uncomfortable not to.
The police in Orange County were all on these when we were there this past week! I thought it was hilarious to see them all zipping around the airport on Segways! I'm with you though, it kinda looks like fun.
Post a Comment