I recently bought Weezer's Red Album for My Husband for Father's Day. I had only heard one track--"Pork and Beans" (see the great video below)--but I would have purchased it even if I'd heard zero tracks because I love them. That got me thinking...which other artists do I feel such loyalty toward that I'll buy anything they put out? Here's my list:
Fiona Apple: messed up, angry girl music does NOT get better than this. She's best known for "Criminal" in the mid-90s. Her album When the Pawn... is my favorite--I can listen to it straight through and love every track. But all her stuff is great. And her version of "Across the Universe" by the Beatles is FANTASTIC.
Beck: so quirky and offbeat, and he does all kinds of music well. His lyrics are very original as evidenced by "Loser," which he's probably best known for. I particularly like his upbeat, disco-y tracks. Guero is my favorite album, followed by Midnight Vultures. Sea Change is somber and kind of twangy but great if you're in the mood.
Ben Folds: I'm a bit less gushy about Ben Folds because he has a few songs I actually dislike as opposed to just thinking they're okay. But overall his music is unique, entertaining, and sometimes touching. He's most famous for "Brick" from the mid-90s, an atypical song he did with his band Ben Folds Five. My favorite tracks from him (inlcuding ones with Ben Folds Five) are "Don't Change Your Plans," "Jane," "One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces," "Give Judy My Notice," and "The Last Polka."
Michael Jackson: yes, he's a strange person (to put it mildly), but you cannot deny this man is extremely talented. And okay, I didn't love Invincible, his last album from 2001, but "Unbreakable" was great and "You Rock My World" was pretty good. I am also a fan of most of the tracks on HIStory Disc 2 (1995). Plus all the songs he's known for of course.
Who are your favorites? I'd like to know...

2 comments:
MJ ROCKS!!!!!
So glad you started a blog! Love your taste in music. Tom and my first concert together was Ben Folds just on the piano. It rocked. Come find our blog!
`Sheri
Post a Comment