Thursday, May 23, 2019

Favorite decor

When I was first married, decorating stressed me out. But I've settled into a style that feels right for me and makes me happy. Fortunately, my husband doesn't have many strong opinions on this kind of thing, and he tolerates the sometimes quirky items around the house.

Highlights on the built-in shelves in our kitchen/dining area include my antique porcelain mantle spaniel (bottom middle, from eBay); a real blue butterfly in a shadow box (right side, a bday gift from my sisters around 2016); a Fiesta Kitchen Kraft ball jar from my aunt who has a collection of old dishes, and a bingo cage I found at the Provo DI then filled with colored bingo balls, also from eBay--it works and is a really fun toy (right side):


The spiny thing on the bottom right of the shelves is a metal sea urchin I found in the home decor section of Target several years ago. When I discovered they also came in a 3-pack of smaller sizes, I got a bunch of them and hung them on a wall in our entry: 


My Pee Wee Herman doll that talks when you push his chest is on the left side of the door to the hall, and some T-rex salt and pepper shakers are above him:


To the right of the door is a waving Chinese cat similar to ones we saw in our last neighborhood in San Francisco, the alligator head from the New Orleans trip, a postcard of the Nixon-shaking-hands-with-Elvis picture, and a plastic dinosaur my mom's dad brought me from Vernal, UT when I was little:



Our front entry console has a toad skeleton on the top right and a stegosaurus lamp on the shelf below:


I decided to keep the Halloween crows out past October on our living room mantle:

No comments: