Sunday, December 19, 2010

All I want for Christmas

The picture above is a good example of the kind of shenanigans 1st Brother has been up to in the last couple of months. Yes, it's kind of funny to pull a face when your Dad is trying to document a nice family Christmas experience at the Oakland temple. Or to teach your baby brother to point to the appropriate body part when you ask him where his nipples are. But when you add constant loudness, goofy voices, songs/quotes that are repeated over and over, and a general lack of listening, you risk driving your parents freaking NUTS!

When we used to ask my mom what she wanted for Christmas, a birthday, etc. she would often reply, "obedient children." Now I understand why, only I would say that obedient and very quiet children are what I want. My husband suggested we get a robot that can follow 1st Brother around and constantly say, "You're being too loud," "Stop it," "No more of that," Listen to me," and "What did I just ask you to do?" During December we could program it to remind him that our family elf, Midgey, is watching (I have decided to downgrade the Mom and Dad gift from a big Lego Star Wars set to a Leapster game and a book).

Overall, I know I'm very blessed. He doesn't seem to go too far with this kind of behavior at school or church. He's learning well, is a good brother and friend, is healthy and energetic, and goes to bed and sleeps like a champ. We've heard from several friends lately who are struggling with serious health and family problems. And a 46-year-old woman in our building died last week. It wasn't unexpected--she was a very unbalanced, miserable person--but all these things have given me perspective. I have a feeling we're in for many more years of goofy boy behavior. With some luck and an extreme amount of patience, I think we can make it through.

1 comment:

Aunt Cyndi's Blog said...

Good luck! I so feel your pain. We get lots of screaming for no apparent reason, arguing, and hitting. It baffels me! I said this morning...I am so tired of the fighting. Then asked, aren't you all tired of fighting? The three of them gave me a blank stare. I am reminded by my mother that I also argued non stop with my sister, and eventually stoped. I am sure it does not help, but I loved 1st brother's goofiness when he was in my primary class.