Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Geographic snobbery

There was a girl wearing a Utah Jazz shirt at the front desk of the Discovery Museum today when I checked in. I said something like, "Nice shirt--I'm from Utah"; she was too. Another front desk worker piped in with a, "Congratulations to both of you on escaping." For a split second it felt like a compliment (kind of like, "You don't seem like a Mormon." Thanks! Wait, what?), but then I felt irritated. All I could come up with at the moment was, "Oooh no!" (like "oh no you didn't!"). He said something like, "It is really beautiful there," and I agreed and went on my way.

But it was one of those situations I kept stewing about and coming up with things I should have said (I think the winner was,"You must be a lot better than people who live in Utah"). What's the deal with big city people thinking they have something over people in smaller cities and towns, especially those in the middle of the U.S.? I've seen this attitude in varying degrees many times. San Francisco is cool, and that's fine if you don't think you'd like living in Utah/Kansas/Illinois, but don't be a jerk about it, especially if you've never been there. And especially if your audience is two women who have willingly associated themselves with the place you're putting down and haven't said anything negative about it, Discovery Museum Guy.

Just to show I'm not above [affectionately] making fun of where I'm from, here's what Ashlee Simpson would look like if she lived in Vernal:

Pam Anderson if she lived in Kanab:

Sharon Stone if she lived in Bountiful:

and Britney Spears if she lived in Panguitch:

Hee hee! All credit is due to Becky who sent me these pictures among others a few years ago.

5 comments:

Jen Suman said...

Ha ha! I love it. It's totally true! Every time I'm travelling and someone asks where I'm from, they feel like it's their duty to make some rude comment about Utah or Mormons. Most commonly I get, "Oh, I'm sorry!" I want to say "Oh, it's ok. We all make asinine comments at some point in our lives!"

Anonymous said...

Sometimes it's a good thing when people find out you're from Utah. The most common thing Todd and I have noticed is that strangers trying to strike up a conversation with you....stop talking to you once they realize they're talking to UTAHNS.

When I was a nanny in Boston, the friend of the grandma of the kids (do you follow?) found out I was from Utah and said, "Oh, then you must live in the MORMON COMMUNITY." Oh-kay...

pepper said...

Love the photo's and I hate when people make comments like that, especially when it comes from Mormons who grew up outside of Utah... it's all annoyingly small minded.

Laura said...

haha cracking up inside at all those pictures LOL

Jen Suman said...

So I know I commented already, but I saw that picture of Britney Spears as I was commenting on your newest post and I started to laugh. Hee hee!