Saturday, April 17, 2010

Green Smoothies

My mom recently got into making green smoothies, i.e, smoothies containing leafy greens whose taste is masked by blending them with fruit. She and my dad have lost weight by drinking these and report fewer cravings for soda and other junk food. They are pretty good, and it makes me feel like a good mom to see 1st Brother drink one. Here's a very basic recipe:

2 cups fresh spinach (the leaves freeze well if you want to)
1 banana
2 cups frozen strawberries
Water

-Combine in a blender until smooth. Add honey to sweeten it and/or crushed ice if you like.

I start by blending the spinach with a fair amount of water, then add the banana (essential to me or it tastes too leafy), then the frozen fruit and maybe more water if the blender is having a hard time. You can do about any combination of greens and fruit, frozen or fresh.

I'm hoping my muffin top will slim down and that I'll fit more comfortably in my new $12 jeans (from Marshalls!) if I drink these more often.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am totally intrigued!! I am definitely going to try this out!

Mistie said...

Green smoothies are great! Carrots and/or green apples tend to "hide" the greens very well. And I had to laugh.. muffin top?? You're kidding, you do not have a muffin top. Of all the posts I was ever going to comment on and just didn't, I couldn't let this one go. Seriously, you don't have a muffin top Jennie. I do hope you reach your goal though. :D

I'll have to send you some good recipes that are in my vita-mix book and that John has made, he concocts(sp?) some pretty good smoothies.

pepper said...

I was doing this for a while and I love it... need to get back to it (my blender broke a few months ago, so this is good to remember why I should replace it) My favorite was to add a lot of blueberries to cancel out the color green. I love a spinach, blueberry, banana. And I can't believe you have a muffin top... if you do I can't stand to think of what mine would be called!

Kendra | Our Homemade Happiness said...

Thanks for the recipe! I'm excited to try it!